How we digitized and automated a quality assurance reporting process while cutting costs and turnaround times
- Innova Services
- El Paso, Tx
Innova Services runs some of the largest operations in the quality assurance space in México. On their day to day they handle large amounts of sourced material for their clients and run their quality assurance process before it hits the clients' assembly or production line.
Handling such activities creates large volumes of data, which at the time Rocketwire got involved was managed in 3 steps:
- • Data points captured on a physical production sheet at their clients' premises.
- • Data points re-captured on spreadsheets at Innova Services office.
- • Reports sent to clients a few days later.
Identifying tasks to automate
The first area of opportunity Rocketwire identified as a good candidate for automation was to avoid task repetition when capturing data points. The same data points captured manually at the clients' facilities were later recaptured to a spreadsheet – a practice prone to human error.
At the end of each shift and after all data points are captured Innova Services would generate reports showing several key insights.
With these reports their clients' sourcing provider could then make adjustments to the quality of their materials, or a rework run could be performed at the client's premises – this last possible step helps with keeping the production running because there are less round trips with the source material and less sourcing material gets rejected.
A web application that lives in the cloud, can be accessed via any internet connected device.
Such application should enable data capture at customer's premises, display notifications and produce valuable and data insight driven reports for clients and Innova Services
Benefits and values after implementation
- • Decreased production turnaround times from days to hours, with the option to enable real time data reports to clients
- • Greatly reduced human errors that were always a risk, because data is now only captured once.
- • Reports are automatically generated from captured data. There is no longer a need to create these manually
- • A centralized repository for data. Passing around multiple versions of spreadsheets is no longer necessary
- • Clients are able to log in to a portal, view and print production reports
- • Quality defects can be captured with a mobile device and easily added to reports